Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mix Tape

28 Jan 2008 12:51 am



Back in middle-school, the coolest sign of affection a guy could give his "steady" was a mix-tape of favorite songs. Producing this tape usually involved taking a "sesame street sing-along" tape from your buddy's little sister, slyly placing a piece of scotch tape (a chewed up piece of gum would work in a pinch) over the anti-recording hole, then using your big brother's dual tape deck to record your favorite songs over "C is for cookie" and other favorites. Surprisingly, all your "favorite" songs seemed to correspond pretty closely to the tapes your big brother had collected.

Following this tradition, in my Sunday afternoon boredom, I thought I'd start a mix-tape for Circle and myself. Just remember as you read this list, these are not necessarily my "favorite" songs (though most are), but rather a varied grouping I think would be fun for both Circle and me to listen to on our next roadtrip.

I think it will be obvious from the list that:

1. I grew up in the 80's and 90's (and wasn't a trend-setter during those years)
2. I had a big brother who was into heavy metal and grew up during the 70's and 80's
3. I had good friends in high-school who were into classic rock (I'm looking at you Ben and Matt)
4. I have a "granola" wife who likes hippy music
5. I play guitar hero...a lot
6. I like a goofy song every once in a while to break things up


In no particular order, here's my MIX TAPE:

1. More today than yesterday - Spiral Staircase
2. Little Wonders - Rob Thomas
3. Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N Roses
4. Iron Man - Black Sabbath
5. Crazy Train - Ozzy
6. Mama I'm comin home - Ozzy
7. November Rain - Guns N Roses
8. Freebird - Lynnard Skynnard
9. No Rain - Blind Melon
10. The Distance - Cake
11. Less Talk More Rokk - Freezepop
12. Jem - Freezepop
13. Sound of Silence - Simon and Garfunkle
14. Hotel California - Eagles
15. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
16. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
17. We will rock you/we are the champions - Queen
18. Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith
19. Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton
20. Free Fallin' - Tom Petty and the heartbreakers
21. Carry on Wayward Son - Kansas
22. Mrs. Robinson - Simon and Garfunkle
23. Bridge over troubled water - Simon and Garfunkle
24. Beat it - Michael Jackson
25. Thriller - Michael Jackson
26. Under the Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
27. Snow - Red Hot Chili Peppers
28. Smooth - Santana, Rob Thomas
29. Tom Sawyer - Rush
30. Sweet Child o' Mine - Guns n Roses
31. Paranoid - Black Sabbath
32. Jeremy - Pearl Jam
33. Alive - Pearl Jam
34. Evenflow - Pearl Jam
35. Dust in the Wind - Kansas
36. Knockin on Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan/Guns N' Roses
37. Daughter - Pearl Jam
38. Elderly Woman Behind the counter in a small town - Pearl Jam
39. Creep - Radiohead
40. My Hero - Foo Fighters
41. Everlong - Foo Fighters
42. Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana
43. Lightning Crashes - Live
44. Chop Suey - System of a Down
45. Enter Sandman-Metallica
46. Sad But True-Metallica
47. Holier Than Thou-Metallica
48. Wherever I May Roam-Metallica
49. Monkey Wrench - Foo Fighters
50. Hey man nice shot - Filter
51. Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
52. Tomorrow - Silver Chair
53. What I got - Sublime
54. Santeria - Sublime
55. Buddy Holly - Weezer
56. Say it ain't so - Weezer
57. Cat's in the Cradle - Harry Chapin
58. Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
59. Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash
60. With a little help from my friends - Beatles
61. Never There - Cake
62. Stickshifts and Safety Belts - Cake
63. YYZ - Rush
64. 2112 - Rush
65. Master of Puppets - Metallica
66. Symphony of Destruction - Megadeth
67. Hangar 18 - Megadeth
68. Another Brick in the Wall Part II - Pink floyd
69. Seether - Veruca Salt
70. Loser - Beck
71. Run to the hills - Iron Maiden
74. Paul Revere - Beastie Boys

(I'll update this as Circle adds in her favorites)

No comments:

Post a Comment