Sunday, June 14, 2009

Italy II

19 May 2008 12:33 am

Excerpt from Circle's email to her parents:

On Saturday we went to Assisi where St. Francis was from and where there is a famous church with paintings by Giotto depicting his life and teachings. Our favorite day so far! Sooo romantic to look down from the top of the mountain where Assisi is over the "Green Heart" of Italy (as the Umbria region is called). It is a lot like Tuscany, just below it on the boot actually.

Nick and I both agreed that there are few times in our lives when a view has actually taken our breath away, and this is at the top of the list. Pictures can never do it justice, but I am attaching some.

Also, yesterday we went to the Rome 3 ward where I served when I first got to Italy in 2000. We went with the Ramos Ramirez Family. I cried when I saw that the chapel where they meet (A room the size of two relief society rooms) was full all the way to the back with faithful italians, latinos, asians and africans joined together in brotherhood by the gospel. When I was there,really good attendance meant that it was 1/3 full.

I was overjoyed to see that several of the people I taught are still there and active, preparing for missions, strengthening the branch. After Church we went to the Ramos' house all day, ate colombian food, visited, ate gelato with them, took a stroll around their neighborhood. A true Italian Sunday spent with my favorite Columbian family!

We were beat when we got home and slept soundly till 6:30 am. At least the jet lag has been helping us get up early to beat the lines at the tourist attractions. Well, we're off to the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters









No comments:

Post a Comment