Sunday, June 14, 2009

1st Century

31 Mar 2009 05:59 pm
Gah, I just made a long post about my 1st cycling century (100 miles) and got logged out before I could save it...oh well, here's a quick summary until I feel like actually re-writing the entire thing:

Dramatic race morning pic:




Cool morning, glad to have the jacket and gloves:




At the starting line with Aaron:




The route (click to enlarge):




Profile/height map (click to enlarge):




Post-race with Aaron:




Post-race triumphant:





Post-race Stats - 13.9 mph average speed, 38.7 mph top speed:





Post-race Stats - 7 hrs 7 mins 49 seconds, 99.62 miles (the course was actually 104 miles, but my computer stopped working for a while):






Highlights:

  • We heard about the race Wednesday, drove down Friday night, raced Saturday, and drove back Saturday night - 3.5 hours each way!


  • We weren't sure our cell phone alarms were working so I programmed a flash app to play my recorded voice in the morning yelling "WAKE UP!"


  • "The Wall" (or at least the hardest part) was the 30 mile incline after riding 50 miles already (see height map above), was spinning in my lowest gear running on only will power.


  • Aaron injured his knee at mile 70 and pedaled with one leg the last 30 miles


  • At mile 90's re-fuel stop my body started craving oranges, I couldn't stop eating them, probably ate 6 or 7 oranges in 1/4 slice chunks...was so impressive the guy working the station, when he saw me cross the finish line shouted: "Hey it's the orange guy!"
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment