Sunday, June 14, 2009

A Breakthrough?

05 Aug 2005 03:15 pm

I have this problem with being afraid I'm going to say something less-than-tactful (read: my real feelings) when it comes to people I don't like or don't respect, or with whom I have a particular issue.

This foot-in-mouth phobia is particularly interesting in the office when I get in conversations with certain individuals (*cough* Mark and Dave) for whom I have some particularly harsh and honest statements floating around in my mind. So, what ends up happening is that I generally try to avoid conversation with them that deal with work, and try to develop friendship on a level where I don't have sore spots.

Anyway, I had a meeting with Mark and Rob the other day in which I was fretting what might slip out o' th' mouth, but it surprisingly went well and we seemed to have some real communication and understanding happening rather than me saying something, Mark nodding his head and saying he understands, then coming up with an idea completely to the contrary. So, maybe I've begun the road to mastering communication with these guys...I don't necessarily blame them for the lack of understanding, we all just have to learn to speak each others' languages.

Tonight Circle and I are double dating with Matt and some girl. The plan for the date is to come up with some ideas for short skits (a-la-who's line) such as "bad things to say on a first date, poor ideas for state border welcome signs, mis-printed cereal box sayings, etc." Then, we draw one idea from a hat, and each couple has to do a short flash animation on the subject. Hopefully it'll be fun...it's original, but some girls prefer the comfort of a traditional dinner and a movie rather than having to confront new situations and think and have real interaction with other humans.

Since my above statements aren't really conducive to my patented "one picture per post" tradition...here's a picture of orange juice!

No comments:

Post a Comment